Pages

My Take Off Into Space


Not only are there no happy endings,' she told him, "there aren't even any endings." - Laura in American Gods

The exact date this adventure has started I forgot, but it’s been more or less three weeks. The need for a change in lifestyle dawned on me as soon as I realized I wasn’t able to think, nor breath, in the middle of the city anymore. I mused I needed a place located in silence. Therefore I decided to set out to a place of beauty and simplicity – a quiet open space in nature.




From Bricks to Grass



Living a simple life seems to slow down time, suddenly I have time to spare, time to lay back in the grass and stare at the clouds, time to do groceries on foot and finally time to write. What about the space?  Oh ho the space is the best thing! I have a nice medium-sized pasture all to myself, there is a small lake parting me from other people, and after only 200m there is a beautiful piece of moorland.

So as I said, this is my third week into an adventure, but what exactly am I doing? I’m camping from September till the end of January to complete my final semester of uni. I’ll just say it up front, I might not be able to endure this lifestyle till the end of January, but I’ll try to do this for as long as it stays comfortable. And I’m honestly looking forward to each day since the start.

Why would someone go camping while attending uni and above all during the winter I hear you ask? Because I’m developing my inner hippy. That being said, let’s start talking about the gear.

Into The Gear(wars)

I’m a proud owner of a bell tent – I’m not staying in the polyester tents normally used for camping. It’s really comfortable, durable, sturdy and heavy (25 kg). The tent is about 15 square meters and has a pole in the middle which allows me to stand upright. To give a better impression of the ample space I have: the tent can house 4 to 6 people, so more than enough space for me to live in and to comfortable explore some of the wildest yoga forms. The tent has four small windows which alow me to see the pretty view at all times, particularly nice in the early morning.

The tent has a beautiful color and waking up is a blessing as the light, whatever the weather, is a warming invitation to start the day. But during the evening, especially when it’s windy, being inside the tent can feel like the loneliest place on earth. However I praise myself lucky that it’s possible to burn candles inside – I tested it thoroughly – which make for the perfect atmosphere by night.

Conclusion 

It definitely took me some time to adjust to a lifestyle that is so different from what I was used to. I had to change my way of cooking, sitting and dressing, according to the weather and to the size of the tent. I was definitely never bored and the hikes trough the moorland made the tiny steps of adjusting even more enjoyable. So after three weeks, I think I can finally call this space home.


Look at that happy goose.


...................................................................................

Reading: Amercian Gods - Neil Gaiman
Listening: Kendrick Lamar
Humming: Erykah Badu
This week's sadness: immediately when I lit a couple of candles three big insects flew into the fire, and were burned alive. There was unfortunately nothing I could have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram